Usually recipe ideas come to mind at some of the most inconvenient times : seconds before drifting off to sleep, while in the shower, while driving, and while running. When this happens, I’ll try to remember the idea for as long as possible until I can capture it in some way. (I’m not beyond calling myself and leaving a voicemail – which is just about the only reason I use voicemail!).
The idea for these breadsticks came in the
middle at the very beginning of a long (ish) run. I repeated the idea over and over to myself until I got back to my car, so I wouldn’t forget it.
This recipe marries pizza dough with garlic and nutritional yeast for a light, garlic-cheese flavor. Because who can say no to garlic? Cheesy? BREAD?! And – Major bonus points for being super easy.
Go ahead and make these little guys – so you can dunk them in your favorite soup, marinara, or…just eat them!
- Wet Ingredients:
- • ¾ cups of water
- • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- • 1 + ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Dry Ingredients:
- • 1 + ⅔ cups brown rice flour
- • ¼ cup corn starch
- • 2 tablespoons potato starch
- • 2 tablespoons corn meal (just plain corn meal, not corn bread mixes – watch for gluten free status)
- • 1 + ½ teaspoons xantham gum
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning (see note above about spice substitution)
- • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- • 1 teaspoon yeast
- Melted vegan butter, minced garlic, a dash of salt
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix with spoon, smushing any lumps.
- Put ingredients in bread machine as listed below (or! in the order your machine requires)
- Add wet ingredients to the bread machine.
- Add dry mixture on top, making sure to completely cover the wet.
- Add the yeast on top of the center of the dry ingredients.
- Let the machine do its magic. (My dough cycle takes an hour and 45 minutes)
- When the cycle is finished, take the dough out and form into about 12 small breadsticks, or 6 large ones
- Baste with earth balance, minced garlic and a dash of salt (if desired)
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until firm to the touch
- Serve warm. Store any leftovers in an airtight container once cooled completely