Last week I saw this recipe come through my feed: Coconut Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf by Davida over at The Healthy Maven (<awesome blog – check it out). I was pretty certain I would make it, pronto, so I bought lemons and poppy seeds at the store that night. Then the insane-insane-insane week hit, and I didn’t make it. And come Saturday, I saw the poor lemons on the counter, and decided I was too lazy to mix up some gluten free flour blend. But the ingredients just looked so lonely.
So, instead of making bread, I decided to make Date Balls.
[Insert Obligatory That’s What She Said Joke(s) Here (twss)]
I’ve made many date balls [twss] before – usually containing nuts, dates and chocolate. Sometimes dried fruit. But never lemons.
These little balls keep best cold – as they’re rather sticky when warm [OH MY GOSH TWSS].
Let’s make them…
- ½ cup dates - soaked/drained if dry
- 1 cup pecans (or walnuts or almonds)
- Zest AND Juice of one medium sized lemon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Poppy seeds for rolling (optional)
- Place the dates and pecans in your food processor and process until sticky
- Add zest and juice of lemon, vanilla and salt, process until combined well
- Roll into small balls - will be very sticky
- Roll balls in poppy seeds to cover
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving
- Store in air tight container in fridge
I shared this recipe on GFE’s gluten free Wednesday roundup! Click here for other awesome GF recipes!
Note – in order to help support the costs of blogging, my site occasionally contains affiliate links. When this happens – everything costs the same for you, but I get a little income as well. Thanks!