It is no secret that I had a major addiction to cheese before I
quit eating it realized my stomach had no intentions of ever properly digesting it. It took me a long time to get over my cheese addiction – and the one food I still desperately miss is macaroni and cheese. There is just something so incredibly comforting and soothing about eating it.
I have finally came to terms with the various vegan mac’n’cheese substitutions (a major step in my healing process if I do say so myself) and eat them often. My absolute favorite uhm…of the moment is my Chipotle Mac’n’Cheese recipe. I was whipping some up because it’s super easy! the other night, and decided it needed just a bit more…substance. I started throwing random pantry staples in – and this beauty was born…
Let’s make it!
- • 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk (shake before opening)
- • 1 + ½ cups vegetable broth
- • 1 - 4 chipotle peppers, SEEDS REMOVED
- • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- • 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- • 2 tablespoons mellow miso
- • ½ teaspoon turmeric
- • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- • 16 ounces of gluten free noodles (I used tinkyada shells)
- • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed very well
- • 1 can of diced tomatoes, not drained
- • 1 cup of frozen corn (or one can)
- • 1 large handful of cilantro (or to taste, optional)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Once boiling, add the noodles to the water and cook according to the package directions. When they are done, drain and return to pot.
- While the noodles are cooking prepare the sauce by adding the coconut milk, vegetable broth, (SEEDS REMOVED) chipotle peppers, garlic, nutritional yeast, miso, turmeric and ground mustard to your blender (or food processor), blend until completely creamy
- Add the sauce, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn and cilantro to the pot of drained noodles and return to medium heat, stirring until warm throughout
- Serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container once cooled.
Is macaroni and tacos a strange combination? Have you ever married two foods with an amazing outcome?