- 2014? Whoa. When did that happen?
- Free Font downloads are REALLY fun, but really addicting. When I started looking at other people’s photography, I really liked when they put text on their pictures, and I noticed that they oftentimes used fonts that seemed to ‘match’ the theme of the picture. I wasn’t sure how they got so many amazing fonts, until I googled ‘free fonts for download’. Wow. There are TONS. I’ve really had fun discovering new fonts. I’ve pinned a lot to one of my pinterest boards if you want to check them out!
- Free Digital Downloads fall in to the same category as free fonts. They’re something you totally didn’t realize you needed, until you started downloading them and now you can’t stop. I haven’t been using them as much as I have the fonts, but they are a lot of fun. Some that I really like (which you can find on the same pinterst board) are the washi tape downloads. I haven’t used one yet, but they add a more..personal..touch to your pictures.
- Jetpack plugin for wordpress.org is great. Jetpack allows you to ‘have’ a lot of the features that are used on wordpress.com. The main one that I like is the stats page, which I was so used to on wordpress.com. I also have enjoyed google analytic, but the jetpack just has such a familiar ‘feel’ to it. I also like the ‘follow by email’ feature as well. More than anything it’s just made the learning curve a little less steep with some familiar ‘faces’ along the way 🙂
- The lighting in my house is terrible. We get very little natural light, and even less this time of year. We also have such a hodgepodge of lighting sources. We have very few overhead lights, and the ones we have are insanely bright. I have a light box made from a cardboard box (with the sides cutout) that Nathan made me when I first started my Etsy shop and needed to take pictures of my products. It is nice – but is a bit small for kitchen-use. We worked this weekend making a new light filter using this tutorial. It seems to be working nicely – but I can update once I’ve used it more.
- [Bonus] [But really also to do with number 5] – Learning new photography tips are hard. I’ve been reading up in some books that my brother got me for Christmas, but it’s a lot to absorb at once. I also purchased a photography E-Book from Pinch of Yum – It’s an amazing resource to get your photos from ‘okay’ to ‘amazing’ in easy and understandable steps. I look forward to trying out some more of the techniques, and reporting back! In the meantime, you can check out the book for yourself!
I hope everyone has been enjoying this holiday season! I’ll see you next week – where things will get back onto a more ‘regular’ schedule!