If you’re new around here, each Friday I write up a handful of lessons I’ve learned in my blogging-world that week. Thanks for stopping by!
- Our Christmas part two is now over too… Welcome to the ‘other side’ of the Holiday Season!
- WordPress.com redirect is amazing. When I first switched everything over, I did it in one afternoon. I wanted traffic to immediately start going to my new blog, instead of my old one. But suddenly I realized there were a lot of external places that people have linked my blog (mainly Pinterest), not to mention that almost every post I write has a linkback of some sort. Suddenly getting the traffic switched over felt like an enormous task. But then I found out that (for $13 dollars a year) I could have wordpress automatically redirect all of the traffic from my old blog to my new one. Magically. And, magic it is. Someone clicks on a link to my old blog, and ‘poof’, it takes them right to that post on my new blog. The only thing I had to do was go into the Permalink settings (on my new blog), and change the format of the blog post name to the same format it was in on my old blog. But now, it works like a dream. One slight annoyance is that Facebook and Pinterest seem to occasionally tag the posts as ‘potentially suspicious’ – I think because of the redirect. I promise, my blog is not suspicious at all.
- I found Bloglovin’, and am lovin it. This is a website that lets you ‘follow’ blogs, and updates your feed when there is a new post. They also have a very slick phone app (I use android – but it was also available for Iphone). Having all of my blogs in one place makes it so much easier to keep up with posts. Hey – do you want to follow my blog on Bloglovin? Check on the handy little link on my right sidebar —> 🙂
- I am going to have to get photoshop, it seems. I’ve been trying a free trial, and it’s become a pretty essential part of my workflow. I hated it for…the first 2 days, but now I can’t really imagine working without it. There is a pretty monumental deal going on right now – if you sign up for a year long subscription before 12/31/13. It definitely made it obtainable for me.
- I feel like I’m getting in a grove. And it’s a good feeling. This time last week I felt way way in over my head. This week I seem to be swimming along again. Which is hilarious – since I don’t even know how to swim! I’ve been trying to post a recipe for you guys mid week, and this this post on Fridays. I’d like to throw in a post to Amanda’s ‘Thinking Out Loud’ stream on Thursdays too. Is there anything else you’d like me to do? I’d be happy to write about anything – or do some mini series. I’ve got some ideas mulling around – but if you all have any, I’d love to hear them in the comments!
See you next week!