Pumpkin pie was a definite must when we began planning this year’s Thanksgiving menu. I love pumpkin pie – but only at Thanksgiving. I never really have a desire for it at any other time of the year. Luckily, that time of the year is quickly approaching, and we can enjoy this pie!
One of the post exciting parts about this pie recipe was learning how to make homemade sweetened condensed milk with coconut milk. I can see this being super handy in other recipes. If you normally use milk in recipes, you can feel free to use regular condensed milk here.
Ready for some pie-awesomeness?!
Pumpkin Pie (with a real crust!) [Vegan/Gluten Free]
For the crust:
- 1/2 a recipe of my pie crust (using the ‘sweet’ variety) (unless you want to put a top on the pie, if so, make a whole recipe)
For the filling
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (one can)
- 1 + 1/4 cup coconut sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 + ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Let’s Make It:
- Prepare your crust, grease a pie plate and push the crust into it
- Prepare the condensed coconut milk following the directions in the link
- Par bake the crust at 350 degrees for 5 minutes
- While baking: combine all of the ‘filling’ ingredients in a bowl, mixing well
- Pour the pie into the pie crust when it comes out of the oven
- Bake the pie at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, watching carefully to ensure the top doesn’t burn.
- After 45 minutes remove from the oven and let cool. If pie is still soft in the middle, refrigerating it for a couple hours will firm it up
- Top with coconut whip cream, if desired, or eat by itself!