This week I have re-fallen in love with my Brown Rice ‘white’ bread gluten free bread machine recipe. I have been enjoying it every day with Toffutti cream cheese, garlic powder and chives.
Oh wow. Amazing.
When I made this bread in the past, it was dry and crumbly, and only got drier each day. This time, I used the ‘soft’ setting on my bread machine and the loaf came out slightly under baked. Each day I have been toasting it to ‘crisp’ it up.
Brown Rice Bread-Machine Bread Recipe [Vegan/Gluten Free]
Or, a ‘gluten free white bread’
Yield: 1 pound loaf
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons warm water, mixed and let stand for 5 min
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter (earth balance)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 + 2/3 cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. potato starch
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- Mix together flax eggs and let stand for 5 minutes, meanwhile-
- In a separate dry bowl mix together dry ingredients (brown rice flour, corn starch, potato starch, xantham gum, and salt)
- Add wet ingredients to the bread machine (milk, flax eggs, apple cider vinegar, vegan butter, maple syrup)
- Add the dry mixture on top of the wet mixture in the bread machine, completely covering the liquid
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add the yeast in to the well (making certain it doesn’t touch any liquid)
- Cook on white bread / light crust setting, or according to your bread machine’s instructions
- Remove immediately when the bread is done (it has the tendency to burn if left for a long time in the bread machine). Put on cooling rack to cool completely (out of reach of the cat) before storing in an airtight container. Will keep about 4 days, or longer if stored in the fridge. Serve toasted.
**FYI – I ran out of earth balance this week and made this recipe without and it still tasted great! It seemed to not rise as much, but that may have just been my imagination – so I’ll have to try again and see if that’s the case or not.
Let me know if you have any questions!!