This past week kicked my butt. I did not leave work until after 9pm any of the nights (except Friday). Today came around, and all I wanted to do was sleep. And eat. And repeat.
Tomorrow is our one year wedding anniversary! It is insane to think that it’s been a year! And what a year it has been…
Tomorrow we look forward to another quiet day together.
This afternoon we went and saw Iron Man 3 – which was awesome. It seemed fitting – on the day after our wedding last year, we went and saw The Avengers!
But anyways…I seem to be rambling. Words are, apparently, not my strong suit today.
This evening I was craving cheesy, gooey, hash brown casserole. Cracker Barrel style. I knew my body would reject the original version 110% – but I figured I could probably make some that tasted at least pretty close. And, I’d say I’ve gotten there, with just a few twists. I didn’t take a picture of it – because…well, it wasn’t the most beautiful meal ever (it seems incredibly hard to make casseroles pretty) but, trust me, for all it lacks in ascetics it makes up for in creamy non-cheesy deliciousness.
‘Cheezy’ Hash Brown Casserole [Vegan / Gluten Free]
- A dab of olive oil for greasing the crockpot
- 1 16 oz package of frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 medium size onion, diced small
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 recipe of nacho cheez sauce or vegan cheese of your choice
- 1/2 an additional cup of salsa
- 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado, additional salsa, shiracha, etc for garnish
- Lightly grease the inside of the crockpot with olive oil (put a bit on a towel and rubbed it inside)
- Layer the crockpot with the frozen hash browns, onion, black beans, cheez sauce, and then the rest of the ingredients
- Cook on high for 2 – 2.5 hours – or until warm throughout – stirring half way through to mix all layers
- Serve warm topped with additional salsa, avocado, or any other toppings
What foods do you occasionally miss if you’ve made diet changes? Cheese is still, at times, a big one for me! This week it has all been about comfort foods! I hope you’re having a great weekend!